Car accidents can be frightening and traumatic events. It is common to be disoriented and confused immediately after a car accident. However, it is important to remain as calm as possible and think quickly. The actions you take (or fail to take) after a car accident can significantly impact your ability to recover compensation for your damages in a lawsuit.
Will you know what to do after a car accident? The following tips will help ensure you act properly during this difficult time.
The first thing you should do is check to see that everyone in your car is ok. If anyone involved is seriously injured, make sure to call for emergency medical attention at once.
The following are important steps to take after a car accident:
- If the accident was minor, pull the cars to the side of the road so that traffic is not interrupted
- Call the police if there are damaged vehicles or injuries
- Take pictures of the accident
- Get contact information from other drivers and witnesses
- Record the other driver’s insurance information, driver’s license number, license plate number, and vehicle identification number (VIN)
- Don’t leave the scene of the accident until the police write a report
Keep in mind that you are required by law to call your insurance company to report the accident in a timely manner. Be truthful when answering their questions, but don’t admit fault. Also, don’t sign any wavers or statements without speaking with an experienced car accident lawyer.
If you were injured in a car accident, Mickey Fine can ensure your rights are protected. With more than 25 years of experience handling car accidents, he has the background to aggressively pursue the compensation you deserve.
Please contact The Law Offices of Mickey Fine today to schedule a free car accident consultation. Mr. Fine serves clients in Bakersfield, California.