Ridesharing Accident Lawyer in Bakersfield, CA
Were you injured in a collision while riding in an Uber or Lift? Or did an Uber or Lyft driver hit your vehicle? If so, you could be eligible to seek compensation for your injuries and other losses. Collisions involving rideshare vehicles are no different than any motor vehicle collision, except for the insurance policies involved. Depending on the situation, you could be eligible to seek compensation from the at-fault driver, another motorist, or Uber or Lyft’s insurance policy.
At the Law Offices of Mickey Fine, our Bakersfield car accident attorneys have extensive experience representing victims of Uber accidents. Over our 30 years in business, our firm has developed a reputation as one of the most effective and dedicated personal injury law firms in the area. We have a track record of securing large settlements for our clients, both in and out of court.
If an Uber accident injured you or someone close to you, you can trust us to fight for the justice you deserve. When you choose the Law Offices of Mickey Fine, you can expect focused and dedicated representation from the moment we take on your case. Call our Bakersfield rideshare accident lawyers today or fill out a form on our contact page for a free consultation.
Bakersfield has no shortage of personal injury lawyers, but the right attorney can significantly affect your compensation after a rideshare accident.
Here are a few reasons to choose attorney Mickey Fine for your Bakersfield rideshare accident case:
- Decades of experience. When it comes to recovering compensation after an accident, there is no substitute for practical experience. Attorney Mickey Fine and his team have spent more than 30 years representing injured people in California, and that experience helps us be better advocates for our clients.
- Proven results. When someone injures you in an accident, recovering maximum compensation is essential to helping you rebuild your life. Our team has recovered millions in compensation for our clients to help them pay their medical bills and other expenses after a collision.
- Personalized service. The aftermath of an injury accident can be challenging for you and your family. You may be in considerable pain, have medical bills piling up, and be adjusting to permanent injuries. We will do what it takes to help you get justice.
- Affordable representation. Some people are reluctant to meet with an attorney after a rideshare accident, often out of concern about the potential cost. We believe everyone deserves the best possible legal representation after an accident, which is why we do not charge any upfront fees for our services. We won’t collect anything until we secure compensation for you.
One primary reason to hire an attorney after an Uber or Lyft accident is that your attorney can handle all the legal work while you concentrate on your medical treatment.
Some of the ways a rideshare accident lawyer can help with your case include:
- Gathering evidence. It will be difficult or impossible to recover compensation from the rideshare driver or another party that caused your injuries if you can’t prove that they were negligent in some way. Our team could investigate the accident and use police reports, medical reports, photos from the crash scene, eyewitness accounts and collect other evidence to show why you should receive compensation for your injuries.
- Identifying the liable parties. Depending on how a rideshare accident occurred, multiple parties could be responsible for your injuries. We will examine the evidence to identify everyone who caused the crash to make sure you claim full compensation for your injuries.
- Documenting your injuries and financial losses. Evidence of your injuries and expenses related to a rideshare accident is crucial to maximizing your compensation. We can use your medical records, receipts, and other documents to substantiate all the harm you suffered in the collision.
- Filing your claim on time. If you wait too long to act after a rideshare accident, you may lose your right to compensation. Once you hire a lawyer, they can protect your right to compensation by quickly filing a claim against anyone who caused your injuries.
- Negotiating an insurance settlement. Most rideshare accident cases settle out of court without a trial, but you still need an experienced attorney to make the most of an insurance settlement. Our team can handle settlement negotiations with insurance companies to help you recover maximum compensation.
- Preparing for trial. If the other side refuses to offer you the full and fair compensation you deserve, you might need to take your case to trial to protect your rights. Should your case go to trial, you’ll want to hire an attorney with trial experience and the tenacity to fight for what is fair.
An attorney will need to investigate your case before they can give you an estimate of your potential compensation after a rideshare accident.
That said, compensation in a rideshare accident case may include money for:
- Medical expenses. Between the cost of emergency care after a crash, follow-up treatments with your doctor, physical therapy, prescription drugs, and other expenses, a rideshare accident could cost you thousands of dollars or more in medical bills.
- Lost income. If a rideshare accident causes you to miss several days or weeks of work, you could lose a significant portion of your annual income.
- Reduced future earnings. A long-term disability could prevent you from returning to your job, forcing you to find other work that may not pay as well.
- Physical pain. While the pain from your injuries in a rideshare accident can be difficult to quantify, the pain undoubtedly impacts your quality of life. Severe pain may also prevent you from taking part in certain activities.
- Emotional distress. Many people who sustain injuries in a rideshare accident develop mental health disorders, including anxiety, depression, post-traumatic stress, and suicidal thoughts. Just like physical injuries, these mental illnesses can significantly lower your quality of life.
- Damaged personal property. While your physical and mental health matters most after a rideshare accident, a crash could also damage or destroy your personal property. It may cost you a lot of money to replace your damaged property, and some items may be irreplaceable.
California authorities do not specifically track the number of rideshare accidents statewide like they do with other kinds of crashes. However, researchers at Rice University and the University of Chicago found that rideshare apps like Uber and Lyft may have caused of a 3 percent increase in traffic deaths over the past decade or so.
Researchers noted that crowded, urban environments like Bakersfield saw a more considerable increase in rideshare-related crashes than more rural areas.
Rideshare accidents in Bakersfield happen for many reasons, and some of the most common causes include:
- Distracted driving. Rideshare drivers are as susceptible to the dangers of distracted driving as any other driver. A rideshare driver distracted by their phone, using the app, or something else cannot see potential hazards around them. Similarly, distracted drivers sometimes run into rideshare drivers and injure the driver or passengers.
- Drowsy driving. Many rideshare drivers work at night because there is more demand for their services. Unfortunately, working at night also leaves rideshare drivers more susceptible to fatigue, slowing their reactions and impairing their judgment. Working at night also means rideshare drivers risk encountering other drowsy drivers on the road.
- Impaired driving. Like any other driver, rideshare drivers who use alcohol or drugs are much more likely to cause a crash. Rideshare drivers may also encounter impaired drivers when navigating crowded cities at night.
- Failing to yield. A rideshare driver in a hurry to pick up their fare or reach their destination may disregard right-of-way laws and cause a crash.
- Mechanical defects. Because they are on the road most of the day, rideshare drivers subject their cars to more wear and tear than most drivers. If rideshare drivers do not stay on top of their car’s maintenance requirements, critical components can fail when the driver has a fare, leading to a collision.
- Poor road conditions. Bad weather, construction zones, and other road hazards can make accidents more likely if rideshare drivers do not pay attention and adjust their driving behavior.
Like any collision, rideshare accidents can lead to significant injuries, such as:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- External head and face injuries
- Severe burns
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Severed or crushed limbs
- Internal bleeding
- Internal organ injuries
- Broken bones
- Soft-tissue injuries
- Severe bruises
- Emotional distress
- Wrongful death
One notable reason to hire an attorney after a rideshare accident is that an attorney can help you navigate the complex insurance issues involved in these cases. Different types of insurance may apply to your case depending on how the accident happened and who caused your injuries.
Uber and Lyft provide up to $1 million in liability coverage for rideshare passengers injured in a crash. However, that coverage only applies when the rideshare has a passenger or is on the way to pick someone up.
If a rideshare driver logs on the app but does not have an active fare, they have more limited insurance coverage, which includes:
- $50,000 in bodily injury coverage for a single person injured in a crash
- $100,000 in bodily injury coverage if two or more people sustain injuries in a crash
- $25,000 in property damage coverage per accident
If a rideshare driver hits another vehicle while logged out of the app, their company insurance coverage does not apply. Instead, the rideshare driver’s personal insurance coverage applies, and their coverage may not be enough to cover all your injuries. A rideshare accident attorney can tell you more about what insurance policies apply to your case.
Here are the key steps to take after a Bakersfield rideshare accident:
- Call 911. First, call the police in case anyone needs emergency medical treatment. Second, many insurance companies will not pay an accident claim without a police accident report. Calling the police means they will come to the scene and file a report you can use later on.
- Get information from other drivers involved. Ask any driver involved in the collision for their name, address, phone number, driver’s license number, vehicle registration number, and personal insurance information. Additionally, ask the rideshare driver for the company’s insurance information.
- Document the accident scene. Use your phone to take pictures of all the vehicles involved in the crash, the damage they sustained, and your injuries. We also recommend looking for potential eyewitnesses and checking for nearby surveillance cameras.
- Seek medical treatment. Even if you feel fine after a rideshare accident, see a doctor immediately. You may have internal injuries that are not apparent and require emergency treatment. Waiting to start treatment can also make it harder for you to recover treatment for your injuries.
- Save your medical records and receipts. Your medical records are critical evidence in a rideshare accident case, so do not lose them. Also, save your receipts so you have proof of what the crash has cost you financially.
- Do not speak to any insurance companies or post on social media. Do not make any posts about the crash on social media, as an insurance company could find the post and use it against you. Similarly, do not say anything to an insurance company before you have met with an attorney.
- Hire a rideshare accident lawyer. The sooner you speak to an attorney after a rideshare accident, the more they can do to protect your rights and preserve evidence from the crash scene. Hiring a lawyer soon after an accident can also help you recover the money you need faster.
The best move you can make is to hire a skilled and experienced trial lawyer to represent you after a rideshare crash. At the Law Offices of Mickey Fine, we have over 30 years of experience helping victims of negligence, including those injured in Uber or Lyft accidents.
Our Bakersfield rideshare accident attorneys will be ready to listen to your story and help you seek fair compensation if someone else’s carelessness hurt you. Call us at (661) 333-3333 or contact us online for a 100 percent free consultation.
Law Offices of Mickey Fine – Bakersfield Office
930 Truxtun Ave, Suite 110
Bakersfield, CA 93301