Everyone knows that drunk driving kills. Yet, every day, in cities across California, intoxicated drivers get behind the wheel and place everyone on the road at risk. If you’ve been injured in a car accident caused by a drunk driver, Mickey Fine can help you hold the drunk driver accountable for your damages.

The best way to learn about your rights and options is to speak with Mr. Fine in person. Please call (661) 333-3333 to arrange your free consultation with our Bakersfield car accident lawyer.

Drunk Driving is a Serious Problem in California?

In 2012, the latest year for which data are available, 803 drivers died on California roads. That works out to just over two deaths per 100,000 residents. While that number might not seem that high, more than 70 percent of those fatalities involved drunk drivers with a blood alcohol content (BAC) of 0.15 or higher, or more than twice the legal limit.

What’s especially disheartening, though, is that nearly 4 out of 5 of these high BAC drunk drivers were repeat offenders. That’s right, 80 percent of drunk drivers who were involved in a lethal car accident and blew a 0.15 or higher had already been in the system before for drunk driving.

How Do I Recover Damages from a Drunk Driver?

First of all, remember that while drunk drivers are likely to face criminal charges, it’s up to you to seek compensation in a civil court. That means you need to file a lawsuit separately from any criminal proceedings. Most of the time, this will take the form of a personal injury lawsuit.

Unlike no-fault states, there’s virtually no limit to your ability to pursue damages from a drunk driver. The only significant barrier to getting everything you deserve is Proposition 213, which limits how much you can recover if you, yourself, are uninsured. If you are driving an uninsured vehicle when a drunk driver causes you harm, the courts will try to limit your damages to such quantifiable losses as medical expenses, lost wages, and property damages. But trust Mickey Fine to pursue your case as far as is necessary to get you everything you deserve.

What Kinds of Damages can I Recover?

Unless Prop 213 applies in your case, you may be entitled to a full range of economic and non-economic damages. These can include:

  • Property damage
  • Medical bills
  • Emotional distress and loss of enjoyment of life
  • Lost wages and lost earning potential
  • Pain and suffering

If a drunk driver’s disregard for safety has caused you or a loved one to suffer, you have a right to recover damages. Please contact The Law Offices of Mickey Fine today at (661) 333-3333 to schedule a free case evaluation with our Bakersfield car accident lawyer.