Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Car Accidents

If you have been injured by a recalled vehicle, call (661) 333-3333 or text (661) 384-6010 for a free consultation with Bakersfield injury attorney Mickey Fine

About 15% of California drivers are uninsured. Those who do have insurance typically carry the minimum coverage required by law. This means that if you were seriously injured, these drivers’ policies most likely won’t cover all of your damages. The good news is that getting into a car accident with an uninsured or underinsured motorist does not necessarily mean that you cannot recover adequate compensation for your injuries.

The best way to learn more about your options and the potential avenues of compensation available to you is to speak with Mickey Fine in person. Please call (661) 333-3333 today to schedule a free consultation at our Bakersfield personal injury office.

Collecting from Your Own Insurance Company

The first thing we look for is uninsured/underinsured (UM/UIM) coverage in your own insurance policy. It is not required by law in California, so you may or may not have it. If you do, you can collect from your own insurance company if the other driver was uninsured. This is extremely important coverage to carry, and we highly recommend that you purchase it if you don’t already have it.

Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage acts as a safety net in case the at-fault driver doesn’t have adequate insurance to cover your damages. If you’re injured in a car accident caused by an uninsured or underinsured motorist, your UM/UIM coverage will pay the difference between the other driver’s policy limits and the total amount of your damages up to the limits of your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. For this reason, it’s in your best interest to purchase the maximum UM/UIM coverage allowed as part of your policy. It’s relatively inexpensive coverage compared with the value it provides you.

Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage can pay for more than medical expenses. It also applies to damages such as lost income and pain and suffering.

There is another type of coverage we look for called medical pay, or med pay for short. It can be used to pay for your medical expenses. However, it doesn’t cover lost income, pain and suffering, and other types of damages.

Other Avenues of Compensation

We will thoroughly investigate your car accident to uncover any and all underlying causes and factors contributing to the accident and your injuries. In some cases, we find that a defective vehicle may have caused or contributed to the accident. In this situation, the auto manufacturer may be held liable for your damages.

In cases where the other driver was clearly to blame for the accident itself, you may be able to file a personal injury claim against the negligent driver to recover compensation for your damages. Mr. Fine has handled many car accident claims, and he can protect your rights throughout this process.

If you have been injured in a car accident caused by an uninsured or underinsured motorist, please contact the Law Offices of Mickey Fine using the form at the right side of the page or call (661) 333-3333 today to schedule your free consultation. Mr. Fine serves clients in Bakersfield, California.

Car Accident
by Mickey Fine Law
Last updated on - Originally published on