Injured in a Car Accident with an Uninsured Driver

After a car accident caused by an uninsured motorist, you may be entitled to compensation from your own insurance policy to cover what the uninsured driver is liable for.

In California, statistics show there are many uninsured drivers. The state does not require you to purchase uninsured motorist (UM) coverage as part of your auto insurance policy, but it does require insurance companies to offer it with every policy. If you decline it, the company must have a signed waiver from you on file.

After getting in a car accident with an uninsured motorist, you need to check your policy for coverage. If you have UM coverage, your insurance company must pay for the medical expenses and other costs of your injury, provided the uninsured driver was the one who caused the accident.

UM coverage should cover the injury expenses of your passengers, and it should still apply in the event of a hit and run car accident. Make sure your insurance company is giving you all the compensation you are entitled to.

If you have been injured in an accident caused by an uninsured motorist, please contact the Law Offices of Mickey Fine to schedule a consultation with our experienced California car accident attorney.

Personal Injury
by Mickey Fine Law
Last updated on - Originally published on