When you are involved in a car accident, the steps you take both on the scene and immediately following will play a role in building your case for compensation. Bakersfield car accident attorney Mickey Fine will conduct an investigation into your accident, but any documentation you can provide will serve to strengthen your case.
While on the Scene
If your injuries do not prohibit it, call 911. You will want to have a police report and be checked by EMTs before you leave the scene of the accident. You should also call your own insurance company to report the accident; they may wish to send an adjustor to the scene to assess damages. Make sure you do not suggest you are at fault for the accident when talking to police, EMTs, your insurance company, or anyone else on the scene.
When possible, you will also want to:
- Exchange contact and insurance information, along with drivers’ and vehicle license numbers with everyone involved in the accident
- Obtain the names and contact information of any witnesses
- Take multiple pictures of the accident from various angles with your camera or cellphone
- Complete a police report, making sure to get the badge number and business card of the officers you speak to
- Cooperate with all emergency personnel and do not alter the scene until advised to do so
Protecting Your Safety and Your Rights
Following your car accident you will need to see your doctor. EMTs may clear you to leave the scene, but there are injuries that can remain unnoticed without a complete physical examination. Explain to your doctor the particulars of your accident to help ensure you receive the appropriate diagnostic tests.
As soon as you are able, contact Bakersfield car accident attorney Mickey Fine to schedule a free initial consultation. Be sure to bring all of your documentation to this first meeting. If you have been contacted by an insurance company regarding a settlement, bring this information as well. You should never accept an insurance settlement until you have discussed your case with an experienced attorney. Mikey Fine will use your initial consultation to answer your car accident questions, review your documentation and personal account of the accident, and help you determine the best course of action.